Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Shirtless Superheroes and Rock Hudson's... errr.... Lovers?

I've had a subscription to INSTINCT MAGAZINE for a long time now and I love it for a number of reasons...

...not the least of which is that it recently introduced me to Blockade Boy: The Comic Book Fashion Blog. If you're not reading Blockade Boy, you're not living life to it's fullest...

...but items in the two most recent issues made me squeal like 7 year old girl getting her first BRATZ doll

First, the latest issue has a great article promoting one of my favorite comic book blogs, Shirtless Superheroes by Jay Pandesal. It's a blog filled with scans of, you guessed it, hot, hunky shirtless superheroes!

As Jay says in the INSTINCT article...

"I started the blog to show that the mainstream comic book industry isn't all about tits and ass. There's plenty of eye candy for fangirls and gay fanboys out there, too!"

Any man who gives us scans of Superboy having his shirt blown off...

Oh, Kon-El... We hardly knew ye...

...or Batman naked on a stasis bed deep inside Apokolips...

Get out of the way, Bekka! Bruce, put your leg down!

...deserves high praise, recognition and an award that says, "Thanks for 2-d man candy!"

Well done, Jay. Congrats on the article!


The other great INSTINCT item came from last month's interview with Armistead Maupin.

The interviewer asked if it was true that Armistead was a lover of Rock Hudson's. Mr. Maupin's response caused me to burst out laughing on the 146 bus. He said...

"That’s the British—they keep using that term.

"I was a fuck buddy of Rock Hudson’s…
it wasn’t exactly an elite club!"


THAT is why we love Armistead Maupin!

MICHAEL TOLLIVER LIVES!, indeed!

10 comments:

Steven said...

I myself wasn't always impressed with Instinct. I let the subscription expire about a year ago and yet I still receive the magazine every month.

Stephen R. said...

Steven - Really? I wish I could get them to send me the magazine for free. :)

Anonymous said...

It may just be the medical professional in me, but how exactly do you survive a fatal injury?

Stephen R. said...

Dana - Look, hunky Bruce Wayne is naked, okay. Let's not get technical. :)

Mark in DE said...

As you may have guessed from the title of my blog, I am a BIG fan of Armistead Maupin. Thanks for the great quote!

Mark

Stephen R. said...

Mark - Armistead is the best! Get the INSTINCT article. I think it's still online. He mentions that he's working on the next book now and I believe he said that the title is "MARYANN IN AUTUMN." I love it!

Shirtless Superheroes said...

Thanks, Stephen! I didn't even know the issue was already out! I live outside the US and I don't subscribe to Instinct, so it may be a while before I get to see the article, unless a kind soul out there scans it and sends it to me (hint, hint) :P

Stephen R. said...

Pandesal - Well, I'm a loser with no scanner, but I will see what I can do about getting it scanned. And, I would be happy to snail mail you a copy of the issue if you like. Email me! And congratulations on the great press!!

xolondon said...

I just noticed this post about Armistead. Thanks for mentioning it. I wrote it! It was a thrill to talk to him. He's just as you would guess - very warm and funny and kind of avuncular. He wants everyone to be who they really are, to not be afraid.

Stephen R. said...

xolondon - Brilliant article! I'm sure that it was an incredible thrill to meet him and interview him! Congratulations and thanks for the comment.