Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Boy King & The Saturday Morning Goddess

As you probably have heard by now, King Tut's mummy was removed from it's sarcophagus today and will now be on public display in a climate controlled case in Luxor.

I personally think that celebrating a rich kid who won the "The Guy Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins" game over 3,000 years ago does nothing but stroke the neo-yuppie ego, but I bring this up for two reasons...

1) After finally getting a good look at his face, I'm pretty sure I tricked with him at Little Jim's a few years back.

It was that particular hookup that forced me to give up tequila forever.


2) All I can think about every time I hear the words "King Tut" is this classic Steve Martin song. So funny and still so true...



And while the words "King Tut" make me think of that song, when I hear the word "Isis," I immediately burst out saying...

"Oh, zephyr winds which blow on high,
Lift me now, so I can fly!"


Since I don't wear Hatshepsut's magical amulet around my neck, I don't actually fly after I say that. But still, I say it. A lot.

I actually said that to one of our tour guides in Egypt.

I tried to explain the whole "Shazam/Isis Hour" to her, but 70's Saturday Morning Live Action Superhero Television Programming somehow gets lost in translation.

P.S. I'm pretty sure it's been changed to make it more "P.C." but I am almost positive that one of the episodes of ISIS was originally entitled "Isis and the Fat Chick."

Dear Lord, I love 70's television!

13 comments:

RobOrange said...

My Gods, I love Isis!

Polt said...

ISIS!!! How I forgot about her! man, I'd say that, and throw my arms out and do that little twirl she used to do as the winds "lifted" her...

*SIGH*...the good old days...

HUGS...

Rick Rockhill said...

funny, I did a king tut post today Stephen...w-i-e-r-d kindof connection there!!!!! (cue bizarre music). Love the Steve Martin song...I found myself humming it all the while I was pilfering the story from the bbc news website!

Stephen R. said...

roborange - Isis got it goin' ON!

Polt - WOOHOO!! I love that you used to do that!! So did I. The good old days, indeed.

Rick - Great minds, dear. Great minds. :)

Gynocrat said...

Jinkies! I was six when that show used to come on, right after the Land of the Lost! I can't help seeing a bit of Catherine Zeta-Jones in her face... 0_o

Aaron said...

"Isis and the fat chick:" I think I remember that one! Isn't that the one where the girl is sort of plump (and I mean "Ana-Matronic-from-Scissor-Sisters-full-figured," not even REAL fat) and is always putting herself down? And at one point towards the end, the brakes go out on her car? (I don't remember why) Isis and Tut the bird have to save her? (I don't remember how--maybe Tut was a mechanic or something.) Then at the end was the whole Isis-talking-to-the-camera speech they always had:

"Today, Kathy learned a valuable lesson. Everyone is beautiful inside. And eat fewer carbs."

I always wondered whatever happened to the actress that played Isis...she sort of disappeared after that.

cb said...

I was always more partial to Jana of the Jungle

Stephen R. said...

Tina - I was a huge LAND OF THE LOST fan as well. "Marshall, Will and Holly, On a routine expedition..."

You're SO right about the Catherine Zeta-Jones / Isis connection.

Aaron - Yes! Isis always had that sort of Jerry Springer "Final Thought" at the end. Which made me love it all the more.

cb - Jana of the Jungle. That's one I don't remember. I was too busy trying to grow my hair into pony tails like Dyna-Girl. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG...
Stephen, I am now officially in love with you. No one, but no one, has ever understood me when I invoke the power of the Zephyr winds to help me fly. And whenever someone turns up the reverb on a mic I am testing, I always so "O Mighty Isis," just to get that cool echo effect.

Kaptain Kool & the Kongs? Lidsville? HR PufnStuf? Sigmund & the Sea Monsters? Good God, it's no wonder there's so damn many gays in our age bracket.

Kirin said...

LOVED the Isis show too! :)

Stephen R. said...

Doug - LIDSVILLE! I loved LIDSVILLE!!! Charles Nelson Reilly was on that one. So fabulous!

And I'm going to use that "reverb" thing from now on. It's so perfect!

Kirin - I love meeting more ISIS fans!!! :)

Java said...

HR PufnStuff! I remember WitchiePoo having her make-up applied. Maybe that's why I don't wear make-up today. Who voiced Jimmy's flute? PeeWee Herman before he became famous? SpongeBob has nothing on these old shows.

Stephen R. said...

javajones - "HR PufnStuff. You can't get a little cause you can't get enough!!"

Any wonder why we children of the 70's are a little bit off? Or high? Or both!!! :)