Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Pyrrhic Victory

I just learned a new word: Pyrrhic.

As in "Pyrrhic Victory" which Wiki defines as...

"A victory with devastating cost to the victor."

I found this new word in an article describing yesterday's vote in the House which passed the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

Otherwise known as ENDA.

Oh, I'm sorry.

Not "ENDA."

The House passed "ENDA without the T."

Meaning Employment Non-Discrimination for Gays, Lesbians and Bisexuals, but not for our Transgendered brothers and sisters.

So, even though there are no immediate plans for a vote on this in the Senate, and even though our current moron of a President has made it clear that should ENDA pass his desk he will veto it immediately, Representative Barney Frank decided that it is better to have a victory in the House that tears apart the gay community, than to stand with our transgendered loved ones and accept our equal rights ONLY when EVERYONE in our community receives equal rights.

I know there are those who believe that we did the right thing in pursuing this victory, but what kind of "victory" is it when ENDA will never pass and we are leaving our own behind? Leaving them behind and yet we have made NO significant movement forward.

All we have accomplished is the splintering of our community.

I don't call that kind of victory Pyrrhic. I call is Shameful.

10 comments:

Gynocrat said...

So Transgender is still a lifestyle and not an identity...

Stephen R. said...

Tina - Excellent point.

Aaron said...

I called someone out on that "lifestyle" shit ten years ago when they used it on me. "Where do you pick up that 'lifestyle' shit? What exactly makes it a 'lifestyle?' Are there special curtains I should buy at Penney's? Is Robin Leach going to come and interview me?? Is 'lifestyle' one of those safe, non-offensive, anodyne words that you guys use in church, like 'social disease' instead of 'crabs?' Learn some new lingo, for Christs sakes!"

Maybe we should be reminding Mr. Frank what it felt like to be called "Barney Fag" by Dick Armey (who, himself, has one glass house of a name, doesn't he?).

Stephen R. said...

Aaron - Yep, if this is a "chosen lifestyle," will someone PLEASE explain the selling points to me?!?! People hate us, we don't have equal rights and we have to listen to the music of Madonna. I don't see the selling points!!!

Aaron said...

I can attest that I've avoided the scourge of Madonna for the most part (except for some of the stuff from the late 80s/early 90s, before she COMPLETELY jumped the shark).

Stephen R. said...

Aaron - I love the whole "jump the shark" saying. I especially love the mental picture I get of Madonna dressed like The Fonz actually jumping the shark.

Mark in DE said...

I, too, was disappointed by the exclusion of the "T" portion of our community in the ENDA bill. But I had to remind myself that progress often comes in stages. Sometimes its possible to get everything we want all at one time, and other times its not. I'm hopeful that this is a step toward what will some day be equal rights for all Americans.

Mark

Stephen R. said...

mark in de - I understand that, but I have to say that I don't agree with it. I feel like we have left our brothers and sisters behind because we think we can move ahead faster without them at our side. And we're lying to ourselves and them by saying, "We'll be back for you."

We won't. And the chasm that will be left between us will grow wider and wider.

"Justice too long delayed is justice denied."

whimsical brainpan said...

It is shameful, but what in this administration hasn't been?

Stephen R. said...

Whim - You just said a mouthful. So true. So horribly, horribly true.