Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis and Lisa Marie

I have to admit, when I first heard about this, I thought it was uber-silly and I hated the idea.

In commemoration of the 30th anniversary of her father's death (August 16, 1977), Lisa Marie Presley has released an UNFORGETTABLE-esque song / video of Elvis' IN THE GHETTO.

I mean, of all the Elvis songs to sing... IN THE GHETTO?!?!

Then, I read the details and I'm quite impressed by Lisa Marie's choice and the action she is taking...

Lisa Marie Presley is commemorating the 30th anniversary of her father's death by singing along with him. Elvis Presley's only child, who has released two albums of her own, will premiere the video of a posthumous duet with her dad on his classic 'In the Ghetto' Thursday night at the the 30th Anniversary Elvis Presley Tribute Concert in Memphis.

Starting on Friday, it will be available for purchase on iTunes for a charitable cause near and dear to the Presleys.

The video, directed by Tony Kaye ('American History X'), was shot in New Orleans, and, as Presley tells Spinner, she was so touched by the lingering affects of Hurricane Katrina that she decided to make this video more than just a tribute to her dad.

"I landed there to do the video, and I looked around when I got off the plane ... It looks like Katrina happened six months ago," Presley says. "So, that's when it all fell together."

The duet -- both song and video -- will be available on iTunes for downloading, starting Friday. All proceeds will go toward the building of a Presley Place transitional housing development for underprivileged families in New Orleans.

"Families come in and live there, get their life skills together," Presley explains about the charity her family originally started in Memphis. "They get jobs and then they save their money, and about a year later, they move out when they can get back on their feet. It's something [Elvis] was very interested in, because it's kinda where he started from."

See? Pretty amazing, huh? I still can't shake the sound of Cartman singing IN THE GHETTO when I think about this, but Lisa Marie is definitely doing this for a worthy cause.

P.S. An even better tribute to The King of Rock and Roll is something I first tried with my cousin Kristie on her last visit to Chicago.

If you see these - - Limited Edition Elvis Peanut Butter & Banana Creme Reese's Cups - - buy them, several of them, for they are out of this friggin' world brilliant!

As my Daddy would say, "They'll make your tongue slap your brains out!"

5 comments:

RAD said...

Elvis- SUPER DUPER COOL Recess Peanut Butter and Banana Cups- SUPER DUPER GROSS!!!

Stephen R. said...

Rad Homo - Trust me! It may sound gross, but I have yet to meet one person who took one bite and didn't moan at the sheer brilliance of the taste sensation. Try it. You'll like it.

whimsical brainpan said...

The Recess cups sound good but I must admit I've never been an Elvis fan.

Kristie said...

Very cool of her to do that.

BTW, your rent for the room at dragoncon is a bag of these, can't find them here anywhere.

Stephen R. said...

Whim - Really? Well, I'm enough of an Elvis fan for the both of us!!

Kristie - They are hard to find!!! But I'll make a trip back to the Hershey's store any day for a bag of these!!!