Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Happy Birthday Mrs. Parker



Today is the birthday of Mrs. Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967).


If you've never taken the time to read Mrs. Parker's poetry or short stories, treat yourself to her work. Soon.


To give you a little taste of the her brilliant wit, here is a nice list of my favorite Dorothy Parker quotes and poems...



"A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika."

"I've never been a millionaire but I just know I'd be darling at it."

"If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised."

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

"Four be the things I'd have been better without:Love, curiosity, freckles and doubt."

"I require only three things of a man. He must be handsome, ruthless and stupid."

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."

"The two most beautiful words in the English language are 'cheque enclosed.'"

"It serves me right for keeping all my eggs in one bastard."

"Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common."

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

"Ducking for apples -- change one letter and it's the story of my life."


And this is my favorite Mrs. Parker poem...


Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.
- Comment (1937)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this reminder. Her glorious example is so seldom followed...the heavy drinking, the acidic bon mots, taking up with the wrong man again and again and again, occasional lesbiansim...God KNOWS I've tried, but...

Stephen R. said...

Master Aaron - Don't worry. I'm carrying on the legacy... in so many ways... :)