Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I Didn't Recognize You With Your Clothes On

Danny Bernardo - - the Aladdin to my Genie, the Ginger to my MaryAnn, the Shirley to my Laverne - - loaned me his copy of Armistead Maupin's latest Tales of the City novel, Michael Tolliver Lives, and I've been hooked since page one.

I fell in love with this passage. For obvious reasons. And because of its absolute truth.

Michael runs into an old trick on the street who he can't remember at first. After Mr. Trick gives him a few clues, Michael explains...

"What I remembered - ALL I remembered after nineteen years - was his dick. I remembered how its less-than-average length was made irrelevant by its girth. It was one of the thickest I'd ever seen, with a head that flared like a caveman's club. Remembering HIM was a great deal harder. Nineteen years is too long to remember a face."

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Tennessee Williams' Sweet Bird of Youth.

The Princess Kosmonopolis doesn't remember Chance Wayne until he starts to give her a massage, prompting her to say...
"I don't recall your face, but your hands are familiar"

10 comments:

Aaron said...

"Nineteen years is too long to remember a face."

Funny! But sadly, that quote speaks VOLUMES about gay society.

Nosokomaniac said...

Sadly, or happily, in less that a week I forget faces. But show me your schwantz and I can tell you where we met, what you were drinking, what brand of gum you enjoy most, if you used your teeth, and if you can toss a mean salad or not.

The answers to the above questions have changed quite a bit over the years. But the faces? Who knows...

philip said...

I read this book. LOVED it. It got pretty mixed reviews, but two thumbs up from me.
Nineteen years isn't too long to remember thumbs.
P.

Anonymous said...

I loved Tales of the city. I actually only see the TV series a few years back and I loved it so much. I cant wait now to read up on the latest installment.

Project Christopher said...

Remembering the dick... thank GOD I'm not the only one!

and Aaron, don't DARE lock this on gay society... you think the straight folks fucking around remember all their conquests? Anything, and I mean ANYTHING that someone tries to tag onto gays as a detractor can very easily be put on straight folks.

Rather, "sadly, that quote speaks volumes about society"

Unknown said...

i loved the first three novels, but the second three were a little lackluster. I felt that once they "left the house" it wasn't as fun anymore. Is this new book like the first or the second three?

Aaron said...

Maybe the difference is that the straight people are allowed to marry after their "conquests," while we're not. And since the "conquest" is all there is for us, we try to rack up as many as possible. Perhaps the inability to remember each one individually is a sort of status symbol? (Notches in our belt instead of a ring?)

Just a thought...

cb said...

God, if I had a nickel for every time the same thing has happened to me...

Danifesto said...

I'm so glad you discovered Tales of the City! I read one and quickly had to read all the rest. They were delish! The TV show versions- just so so. I gave Lanceinda the whole set but not sure he got around to reading them....

Mark in DE said...

I read this just after it came out. I had to read it with a southern accent to remind myself that the narrator is MICHAEL TOLLIVER, and not Armistead Maupin.

I'm looking forward to the next "Tales" book!

Mark :-)