Saturday, April 05, 2008

Happy Birthday, Bette!

I have been glued to my TV all day today. To one channel. Turner Classic Movies.

You see, today is Bette Davis' 100th birthday and TCM is celebrating with 24 hours of Bette Davis movies.

Or as I call it, "Homo Heaven."

Right now, they're playing one of my favorites, All About Eve. My favorite Bette Davis quote from this movie...

"Bill's 32. He looks 32. He looked it 5 years ago. He'll look it 20 years from now. I hate men."


Next up is Jezebel, then Dark Victory and then Dangerous. But, I doubt that TCM will be playing this clip.

This is Bette Davis on the Andy Williams Show singing a Chubby Checker-esque rendition of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" If you haven't seen it, trust me, it's worth it.



Happy Birthday Bette!

6 comments:

Polt said...

Okay, she can't sing, really, but my GOD, this is great!!! Why didn't she do this more often???

HUGS..

Anonymous said...

Oh, what I wouldn't give for a television set today. Alas, poor college students everywhere have been deprived of the divine Miss Bette. May her days in heaven be as fabulous as she was.

Lance Noe said...

Ok as much as i love her, that was tragic!

But girl sure can twirl a dress!

Scooter said...

I watched Jezebel last night. I love the ball scene. How ironic.

Stan said...

Attempting to explain her popularity with gay audiences, the journalist Jim Emerson wrote, "Was she just a camp figurehead because her brittle, melodramatic style of acting hadn't aged well? Or was it that she was 'Larger Than Life,' a tough broad who had survived? Probably some of both."

Mark in DE said...

Yay!!! Happy birthday, Bette. My fave Bette Davis film is "Now, Voyager!"

Mark :-)