Thursday, April 10, 2008

"Some Y'all Never Been Down South Too Much"

As a party favor at one of their fabulous gatherings - - I don't remember which one - - Alanda and Steve gave everyone a cd of eclectic, fun party music.

Not Kylie or Madonna party music. No, this cd had things like Dinah Shore singing "Whatever Lola Wants" and Mel Tormé singing "Puttin' on the Ritz."

It also contained an Elvis song that I didn't know at the time, but have come to love. Deeply, deeply love.

This morning, as I started walking to the bus stop, my iPod shuffled to Elvis singing "Polk Salad Annie" and not only could I not stop laughing, but I also strutted down the street to this song with a snarl on my upper lip, punctuating drum hits and horn solos with faux karate moves.

It was heaven.

Then, I get to my office and read that several photos of The King of Rock and Roll from a 1972 concert have been discovered by the official photographer of Madison Square Garden, George Kalinsky. They show Elvis in all his jump suited glory.

And as if that wasn't brilliant enough, the article discussing this photo find mentions an upcoming exhibit at Graceland entitled, "Elvis Jumpsuits: All Access."

This exhibit will feature more than 50 of Big E's famous jump suits. I can barely contain my excitement.

Today is a day for all things Presley.

Anybody up for a road trip to Graceland this summer? Do a little Walkin' in Memphis? Get our feet ten feet off of Beale?

Maybe a little Polk Salad Annie will get you in the mood.



P.S. I love me some Elvis, but does anyone else think that the first picture in this post - - one of the new ones recently "discovered" - - looks like Big E is about to have the biggest bowel movement of his life?

Well, I guess that's what comes from all those Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches.

7 comments:

Aaron said...

"looks like Big E is about to have the biggest bowel movement of his life"

Tragically, this problem would be his undoing...:-)

I've never been to Memphis although I've been to Nashville ("all roads lead there" you know!). My mom has been to that museum several times--she used to go once a year in the late 80s/early 90s to see the exhibits (Catherine the Great and King Tut were her faves). And then go to Tunica, MS to gamble. :-)

I've only ever heard Tony Joe White's version of "Polk Salad Annie." That's the first I knew Elvis did it too!

ayeM8y said...

Gosh after drinking and carousing around town like a whore all night I suddenly feel like having a peanut butter and banana sandwich with some polk salad Annie on the side! I said...ON THE SIDE!

Alanda said...

maybe that's why they were kept secret for so long! :)
I've bee to Graceland. It's a hilarious place. truly. Seriously, have you never been?

cb said...

At the risk of going further into the negative column with you-- I must say that I have never been an Elvis fan. Ever.

Yet I have been to Graceland-- well, I stood outside the gate. I sure as fuck wasn't gonna throw away good money to see a house.

Java said...

My brother has many colorful sayings. One of my favorites he uses to refer to something large and unpleasant: "That's bigger than the shit that killed Elvis."

Is it wrong that this post reminded me of that?

Rick Rockhill said...

wow never heard that song before, and I LOVE ELVIS. I am secretly jealous of his fab jumpsuits.

The Elvis Presley Palm Springs house is starting to display a bunch of his stuff now, yippee

Danifesto said...

GREAT clip! Wonder what was on that note? He seemed surprised to find it in his belt. "What in the samhill is this?"