Monday, April 14, 2008

Obsidian is Back! It's About Friggin' Time!

When I read the final page of Justice Society of America #14 last night, I was so happy to see Obsidian in action and actually a part of the team, that I said out loud to no one in particular...
"Well, it's about friggin' time!"

For all you non-comic book fans, Obsidian (Todd Rice) is the son of the Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) and the villain Thorn. After serving as a member of Infinity Inc. back in the 80's, Obsidian struggled with his dark side (pun sort of intended, but not really) and then he presumably lost his powers after being purged of evil influences and regaining his mental stability.

Then, Todd Rice came out and began dating Damon Matthews in the pages of Manhunter.

And when Todd's powers were restored, Obsidian was seen in the pages of the Justice Society of America...


...as a non-speaking, non-member, not even included in the friggin' roll call night watchman who patrolled the JSA brownstone in his shadow form.

Sure, he had a little conversation with the Superman from Kingdom Come a few issues back, but it always infuriated me that the only gay person even remotely associated with the largest superhero team in the DC Universe (aside from the Legion of Superheroes) was somehow not considered a member of the team and therefore given NOTHING to do.

Hell, in the book's roll call, Ma Hunkel was acknowledged as a JSA member, but Obsidian was not. I mean, come on!! Ma friggin' Hunkel?!?! A woman who paraded around in the 40's with a fuckin' stew pot on her head and called herself the Red Tornado. SHE'S a member and OBSIDIAN is the night watchman?!? That blows.

It smacked of homophobia to take an interesting character with ties to one of the greatest Golden Age heroes of all time and after he came out, to only use him as a non-speaking, non-acting doormat.

But apparently, the wrong has been righted. And from the looks of JSA #14's final panel, the father and son team of the Green Lantern and Obsidian are going to kick Gog's ass.

And after Obsidian helps his dad kick Gog's ass, Todd is going to go home and sleep with his hot boyfriend, Damon.

Again, it's about friggin' time.

9 comments:

Polt said...

Yes, I think I squealed with delight upon seeing this end page as well. But MY question is: Is this is GL and Obsidian that we know and love, the ones from a ew pages earlier in the book OR is it the GL and Obsidian from whatever earth this Kingdom Come Superman is from? I mean, the getups they're wearing are right outta Kingdom Come. So are they new arrivals to this universe, or is this the first time, chronologically wise, that our guys are wearing the new costumes?

And yes, I AM quite the comic book geek, thanks for noticing.

HUGS....

Project Christopher said...

stephen, you know I love you but..

OH MY GOD!

You prattle on about this like straight boys do about baseball stats!

but I love you for it. or in spite of it... I can never tell :)

SMOOOOCH!

Stephen R. said...

polt - I both thought that and read about that, but somehow, I don't think these are the KINGDOM COME versions of GL and Obsidian. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope I'm not. Since this was the first issue of the new JSA to actually INCLUDE Obsidian in the roll call, I think this is the GL and Obsidian we know and love.

chris - "Prattle?" I never prattle, dear. I do a great many things and put a great many things inside a great many holes, but i never prattle. :)

Anonymous said...

Infinity, Inc.

Oh. Em. Gee.

How much did I love that book? Hector Hall, Lyta Trevor, Jennie-Lynn Hayden, Todd Rice. Roy Thomas had a great run on that book.

And how brilliant was it when Neil Gaiman used Lyta and her son Daniel in THE SANDMAN series?

Damn, Stephen -- I'm going to have to go break out that series and re-read it...

Stephen R. said...

dirk - Infinity Inc. was my FAVORITE book back in the 80's. I've always been a fan of the Golden Age and anything Earth-2, so Infinity Inc. really made me happy. I wish I could find the entire series somewhere for a steal. Those issues from my old collection in the 80's were lost and I would love to re-read those books again.

Anonymous said...

um...........HUH????????

Wonder Man said...

I love Obsidian's look, a bit darker than before, but great.

Polt said...

I've still got the entire run of Infinity inc in a comic book box somewhere....not that I'm looking to sell it...especially not for a steal...not even for you Stephen my love. It's there next to my entire run of the 1970's All Star Comic JSA re-start, and thier subsequent appearances in Adventure Comics. Huntress, Robin, Power Girl...Batman's death...wow...now I'll need to get those out myself...

HUGS...

cb said...

I'm guessing Damon is the blonde one...