Monday, April 28, 2008

"I Hope You're Laughing"

Bob at Little Voice just posted this wonderful item from Liz Smith's NY Post column concerning Patti LuPone's performance in the current Broadway revival of Gypsy...
"IN HIS review of 'Gypsy' on Broadway, the Times critic Ben Brantley noted that the star Patti LuPone had gotten her role down so brilliantly that 'she had made me eat my hat.' Previously, he'd given her a lukewarm review.

"Indeed, after he saw Patti blow the audience away at the St. James Theatre, Brantley gave her the rave she deserved. The next day she sent him a chocolate cowboy hat in a deluxe hat box, with the note, 'I hope you're laughing.'"

The title of Bob's post says it best...

"Only LuPone."

Indeed.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Do they make chocolate jockstraps, too???? Oh I want one!

Oh, and I'd love to hear the Pat-ster sing "Rose's Turn." Merman's version made my hair stand on end...it was terrifying!

Anonymous said...

I'm going. I don't care. I'm going. I'm going.

Jesus help me.

I'm going.



-Alex

Anonymous said...

Sing Out Louise!

cb said...

You know something? Shockingly, I'm not a fan of hers.

Bob said...

Ha! I just noticed you posted this. I'm way behind on my blog readings. Also - can you please tell me wtf's up with her feet in that picture? That's some freaky shit.