Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Woah! Hey! What Are You Doing? That Is Mint-in-Box!!!"

Look what I bought on Friday.

That's right, for the first time in years...

...Not since '88 when I purchased Picard... He's is still in a box... somewhere...

...I bought an action figure. A toy.

Yes, I actually bought a toy that doesn't require you to lube it up when you play with it. Necessarily.

It's Rorschach from Watchmen. And I LOVE IT! (It's the little things these days...)

I bought him at a store around the corner from my apartment called GayMart

You read it right - - GayMart.

A store filled with images of hot, naked men on greeting cards & calendars & refrigerator magnets alongside kitschy movie collectibles and a sea of superhero action figures.

That's what keeps me in Chicago when the weather is like this. Naked men, movie stars and superheroes - - all in one store! 

And while the character of Rorschach will soon be in a movie, I don't think that Jackie Earl Haley will be naked in film version of the Watchmen

Billy Crudup will be naked, though. And blue. Sure, it's naked CGI, but I still can't wait to see it. The movie. And "it."

The movie opens in less than two weeks, so I'm currently re-reading the graphic novel. Philip was kind enough to let me borrow his paperback version, so I wouldn't have to carry my ultra-cool, hardcover, over-sized, platinum geek, edition of Absolute Watchmen (a present from Alanda and Steve a year or so ago).

All I need now is this prop replica set of Rorschach's mask and grappling gun. Seriously, I need this. 

In case someone disses one of the Fudge Packers and I have to investigate.

5 comments:

Java said...

I want to live in a city where there is a store called GayMart. I just don't want to live in a city that is quite as cold and windy as the one where you live. I'm picky, I know.

Congratulations on your recent acquisition. You should treat yourself to toys like this more often. It's good for the soul.

Polt said...

GayMart...that in an of itself is a reason to live in Chicago, eh?

I've got all the Watchmen figures on order at my local comic shop (called very heterosexually unimaginatively Atomic Comics).

And Stephen, dear, it's an 'action figure', not a toy, and for God's sake, not a doll. If only you knew how long it's taken me to slap that description out of some my friend's vocabulary...repeatedly in some cases...

Anyways, enjoy it...or rather just looking at it, cause if Picard's still in the box after 21 years, Rorshach's never gonna see the light of day, is he?

HUGS...

David said...

I loved GayMart. Another thing about no longer living in the hometown.

Anyways, you can see the CGI wang of Billy Crudup's character in one of the many new Art of the Watchman books out at the Borders at Clark & Diversay.

Prospero said...

One is never too old for toys my dear, as my "X-Files" action figures; "Dr. Frank'n'Furter" action figures; "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and "The Simpsons" figurines can attest. We may have to grow old, but we never have to grow up.

dirk.mancuso said...

You live around the corner from Gay-Mart? Shut up! I go there every time I am in the city. (And Graham Cracker Comics, too...)