Saturday, January 31, 2009

"Who Loves Ya, Baby?"

Just in case you didn't follow the link in the caption beneath the "Boy in a Cap" on yesterday's Fratboy Friday post, I feel the need to post this video - - and most importantly, this song!!! - - that I found yesterday. 

The song that I didn't know existed two days ago. The song that hasn't left my brain for a milisecond since I first heard it. 

Which is not to say that this song is bad or repetitive. You see, this song was written and recorded in the '70's and so many things that were popular in that decade simply will not go away - - disco music, polyester leisure suits, Cher...

And this song and video? Well... Cher doesn't sing this song. And she's not appearing in (notice how I didn't say, "acting in") this video. So, those are pluses. However...

The song does have a slight disco beat. And there is at least one polyester leisure suit seen in the video. Worn by the lead vocalist on this song...

The star of that lollipop-sucking, "Who loves ya, baby?" cop show named Kojak (the bald man's Baretta)... 

The best actor who ever portrayed Ernst Stavro Blofeld in any of the James Bond films (and, for those of you who disagree with me because you don't like On Her Majesty's Secret Service simply because George Lazenby played Bond, I have two words to defend and praise "On Her Majesty's..." Blofeld: Donald Pleasence. I accept your apology)....

It's everybody's favorite Pontius Pilot - - Telly Savalas singing the title song from his 1976 album "Who Loves Ya, Baby?" (No, seriously, he sings. Sort of. And that's a song. Seriously...)



And as if that isn't wonderfully bizarre enough, apparently CBS produced an hour long television special when the album came out, and, you guessed it, the special was named, "Telly... Who Loves Ya Baby?"

The name of the special alone suggests that CBS was breaking new ground with this project.The choice of guest stars proves that.

Mr. Savalas was joined in this one-night only variety show by Diahann Carroll, Barbara Eden and Cloris Leachman. (Wha-Huh?)

The tag line for the tv special was, "Three Beautiful Women and One Telly!

And Target thought "Expect More, Pay Less" was clever. Amateurs...

You know, we have things like "Dancing with the Stars" today, but nothing will ever compare to the casting randomness and the extra-high levels of cheesiness presented to the world in the 1970's! Nothing!

Hmmm... Randomness and cheesiness... I was born in the 70's... Yeah, it fits...

5 comments:

cb said...

Did you photoshop yourself onto all these vintage pictures?? ;-)

Stephen R. said...

Bald jokes. Cute. Keep it up and when we meet, I might not let you rub your balls on my freshly shaved head. And believe me, it feels GOOD!

How do you think Telly convinced Cloris to do his tv special? Yep, his head, her balls. After she felt that, she did the job for scale. :)

Java said...

Curse you, you bad-song junkie! I (foolishly) watched/listened to this clip, walked away for 5 minutes, and the entire time I'm away from the computer I've got "Who loves you, baabeeee" swirling around my brain. I need ear bleach now.

A few observations about Mr. Savalas: With a bald head he avoided all those hideous hairstyles of the 70s. He wasn't so lucky with his wardrobe. The fewer clothes he has on, the better he looks. (At least from the waist up. This clip doesn't give any additional information. I'm afraid to do a Google image search.)

You're much sexier than Mr. Savalas.

Aaron said...

"The bald man's Baretta"

And the white man's Isaac Hayes, apparently.

Ouch--not even Quincy Jones can save some things. :-)

(But I hate to admit it, I kinda like it. I, too, am drawn in by the random cheesiness of the 70s.)

Don't be hatin' on Mr. Donald Pleasence, now! He alone made "Halloween 2" scary. Jamie Lee was phonin' it in by then...and the guy in the mask? Lame.

Kevin said...

Lucky bastard. You were born in the 70s which bring to mind so many wonderful things.

What do you think of when you mention the year I was born? '69.