Monday, January 05, 2009

"I Don't Want Life To Imitate Art. I Want Life To Be Art"

If you live in Chicago and you take the 145 or the 146 bus to and from the Loop, I apologize.

I admit it. I'm the guy in the back of the bus cackling like Paula Deen on acid with his nose stuck in a book entitled, Wishful Drinking.

I picked up Carrie Fisher's new book just last week and I am purposefully reading it at a snail's pace so that I can enjoy her brilliant, quirky, dark humor for as long as is humanly possible.

And I'm not kidding about the cackling. People on the bus with me stare - - lots of people... more than the usual "Oh, look at this tired, old queen" people - - because I read just one sentence and I can't hold in the laughter.

For instance, when she talks about waking up to find her friend Greg laying beside her, dead in HER bed, Carrie says...


"So he didn't just die in his sleep, he died in mine."

Describing the event in more detail, she says...

"Greg was one of my best friends. He wasn't my boyfriend or anything. Meaning he didn't die in the saddle. 
That would make me the saddle."

As Carrie was dealing with Greg's death, her friend Dave said to her...

"Honey, I know this is a pain in the ass."

To which Carrie replied...

"If I could isolate the pain just to my ass, 
it would be awesome."

See what I mean?

Then, there is my favorite paragraph in the book thus far...

"You know what's funny about death? I mean other than absolutely nothing at all? 
You'd think we could remember finding out we weren't immortal. Sometimes I see children sobbing in airports and I think, 'Aww. They've just been told.'"

Go buy Wishful Drinking. Now. And get this walking carpet out of my way!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put this on my To Read list, but I think it just got bumped to top spot!

Love her! She's brilliant!

Alanda said...

so that means your amazon wish list is up to date, yes? :) xoxo

Lance Noe said...

That first one made me bust a gut! I wish I could get it here! DAMN!!!

Project Christopher said...

Thanks Stephen! I am like you, my commute is about reading. If I listen to music only, that means I still have to look at people. having my nose in the book gives more of an image of "this is my little cosmos... enter and get bitten" So when I'm coming to the end of my current book, I'm already worried about getting my next book.
you've convinced me of what I need read next!

Aaron said...

I wish they'd get her back on the pre-movie commentator show on Turner Classics. She kicked Rose McGowan's ass!

It's amazing to think she's a middle-aged woman now--I'll always think of her as Princess Leia. Or the psycho ex-fiancee in "The Blues Brothers" (my personal favorite Carrie Fisher role EVER--nobody can fire a bazooka like she can).

Java said...

My favorite Carrie Fisher role is as Sally's (Meg Ryan) best friend in When Harry Met Sally. I read an interview with Ms Fisher in which she was promoting her book. It sounds like a really good one.

Anonymous said...

Now I must get it. Thanks for the teasers. and the book sounds fun too.

Robin said...

I heard her interviewed on NPR. She seems to be a little off kilter... which is right at home with me.

I'll be getting the book.

Mike Ellis, The Jolly Reprobate said...

This woman gave me one of my all-time favourite quotations: "Instant gratification just takes too long."

Anonymous said...

I will not be well if I don't have this in my hot litle hands, and soon.

Chris said...

I saw her show, Wishful Drinking, TWICE! It's hysterical. She's brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I picked this book up last week and have laughed my ass off. Who would've thunk Debbie and Eddie's lil girl would be such a hoot..?