Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Like a Streak of Light, He Arrives Just in Time"

Yesterday, I spent over $33 on my weekly stack of comic books.

But was I savvy enough to pick up the Obama issue of The Amazing Spider-Man? Nope

When you grow up in a part of the country where the word "wash" is pronounced with an "r" between the "a" and the "s," you rarely achieve anything close to "savvy."

Hell, the girl behind the counter even commented as she rang up my books...

"Wow, no Marvel, huh?"

Which is comic book lingo for...

"Geez, check out the all DC loser."

But she's cute and makes her own Shrinky Dink jewelry (which I covet), so I forgive her.

This "Obama Meets Spider-Man" thing is off the hook, though. I couldn't have picked up a copy yesterday even if I had wanted to. No one can keep the book in stock.

Case in point, this is how the cute college boy at my comic book shop answered the phone yesterday...

"Graham Cracker Comics on Madison, where we DON'T have the Obama / Spider-Man issue. How may I help you?"

Hmmm...

I wonder...

If I find a copy of this Barack / Spidey pow-wow, could I use it to convince cute college boy to go out with me?

Oy... It's come to this... Using comic books to bribe youngsters to date me. How dangerously close to "To Catch a Predator" can I get?

9 comments:

Polt said...

Better to be a "DC loser" than a Marvel Zombie, they who shell out their hard earned cash for anything with an X in the title or Wolverine on the cover. Slap and X on the NYC phonebook and the Marvel Zombie would buy them up like hotcakes...paying ten for each.

I didn't have any Marvel in MY stack this either. I DID have a several "Faces Of Evil" covers from DC AND another Final Crisis, which if you haven't read yet, you MUST get and read right NOW!

HUGS...

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't think you'd need a comic book to convince Cute College Boy to go out with you.

The leather Chaps should do it.

cb said...

I see that spidey and Barak are sharing the terrorist fist bump. Al Qaeda code anyone??

Kevin said...

We were discussing this issue at the theatre last night and how everyone is sold out, but you can find them on ebay for upwards of $40 already. (I'm sure even higher by now.)

Pearl said...

To Catch A Predator. :-) Excellent.

I just love the fact that Obama's buds with Spidey.

Pearl

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Super Heroes...
Stan Lee is gearing up to launch the story a gay super-hero of our times. Spider-Man creator Stan Lee is to unveil the world’s first gay superhero. High school basketball star Thom Creed hides his developing superpowers along with his sexuality. Former Marvel Comics boss Stan, 86 — who also created the Hulk and the X-Men — will unleash the character in an hour-long TV drama being shot in the US. If it’s a hit there it will cross to the UK. TV execs hope it will rival the huge success of shows likes Heroes. Lee developed the idea of a gay character from the award-winning novel Hero by Perry Moore. A TV insider said: “It was only a matter of time before we had our first gay superhero. And if there is one man who can make him a success it is Stan Lee. “There’s a real buzz among comic book fans.”

Photo: https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=13145005&postID=6047036999801863718&isPopup=true

The Jules said...

Isn't Spidey a bit poor? I would have thought the green Goblin would be better friend from a fundraising point of view.


http://gravelfarm.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Ah, yes, I remember being told to warsh my face, and the dishes, and please fetch me that poke (sack) full of groceries on the cheer over yonder....

Say Hi to Chris Hansen for me, and whatever you do, don't go back outside!! Hide in the bathroom or something.....oh, hell, he's in college...never mind.

Anonymous said...

oh sis
i'll not gonna hash out our eternal "marvel vs. dc" debauchel on here
i will gloat, that i have a first edition, issue (non-obama variant cover) and was actually a week late picking it up at my shop.
they had just told these random girls that they were sold out when i stepped up and pulled it out for me :D