Friday, February 16, 2007

UNWRITTEN

It was during one of my weekly TiVo'ings of A&E's BREAKFAST WITH THE ARTS that I first saw and heard Natasha Bedingfield and her song, UNWRITTEN.

And every time I hear it, I become happy and optimistic...

...and I start dancing.

Yes, me. Happy. Optimistic. Dancing.

These are words that usually describe a person I would glare at, shake my head and say...

"You know what he needs? Constipation, two years with my ex and a facial scar."

You see, I don't really believe it when people are happy all the damn time. Makes me think that when they're at home and away from the public eye, they sew, collect moths, and keep repeating a stupid rhyme that goes "It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again."

Moderate happiness, however, I accept and aspire to achieve daily.

No, seriously. I do... Oh, bite me.

I think this song, UNWRITTEN, makes me happy because it's about hope and new beginnings - - the idea that today is a clean slate and a fresh start.

The lyrics repeat...
Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin

No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still
Unwritten

Incredible lyrics on their own. But hearing Natasha sing them... well...

I get happy. Optimistic. And I start dancing.




P.S. The cynic in me refuses to end this post without this quote.

Regarding "today" being a "clean slate" and a "fresh start"...


"The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
- George Carlin

No comments: