Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Playboy Dolly

I am all over the Tribune these days.

On their site today, there's a great interview with Tom Stabler. He has been Playboy Magazine's art director for the past 39 years, and he retired this past Wednesday. In the interview, he discusses the design driven covers the magazine had from the late 60's through the 70's.

And he starts off talking about Dolly Parton.
October 1978 / Dolly Parton

"She is one of the sweetest people you will ever meet in your life. I was there for the shoot; Harry Langdon is the guy who shot it in L.A., in his studio. We asked her to wear the bunny suit, as we did Sally Field.


"When we started shooting, we turned up the music and it was her singing. She started dancing and singing. Then, we turned down the music and she just kept singing. It was terrific.


"Then Harry would go up on a ladder and was shooting all over the place. On the first break, she came over to me and said...

`Would you mind telling Harry not to shoot me from above? My breasts look like torpedoes from that angle.’"
Damn, I love me some Dolly.

And by the way, you're right. You've found him. Me.

I'm the man who reads Playboy for the articles.

No comments: