Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Leia Follows Me Like a Vague Smell"

Yesterday, one of my favorite authors and one of my favorite people, Carrie Fisher, was on The Today Show promoting her new book (based on her one-woman show of the same name), Wishful Drinking.

I quote Carrie Fisher quite a bit...

"If my life wasn't funny, it was just be true - -
and that would be unacceptable."


Or one of my favorite lines from both her novel and her movie, Postcards from the Edge, is when Suzanne Vale's boyfriend says, "I don't like this particular side of you,"

"I'm not a box, I don't have sides.
This is it, one side fits all!"


But it was this quote from Carrie's mother, Debbie Reynolds, that made me howl with laughter yesterday.

You see, when Carrie's second husband, Bryan Lourd, left her for another man, Carrie called her mother and Debbie had this to say...

"We have all sorts of men in our family. We've had horse thieves and
one-man bands, but THIS IS OUR FIRST HOMOSEXUAL!"


If that doesn't make you want to run out and buy this book, I don't know what will!

Here are the two segments of Carrie on The Today Show. First, with yummy Matt Lauer...



...and then with Al Roker...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i DO want the book BUT...what I REALLY want is the poster.

That cover is DIVINE on SO many levels!

Lance Noe said...

OK

1. she is off her rocker!

2. that is why i worship at her feet

Mark in DE said...

What happened to her face??? I hardly recognized her. She must have discovered Mary Tyler Moore's plastic surgeon.