Tuesday, April 07, 2009

"I Remember Sky. It Was Blue as Ink"

Today is my father's birthday.

Right now, he's having dinner at his favorite Italian restaurant with my stepmother, my brother and a restaurant full of his friends.

And in a few minutes, he and his wife will receive a little dessert and some champagne, compliments of me and my brother (Thank you, Jeff!).

I wish I could be there. But even more than that, I wish I could be in this picture. Not that I regret the present or the past, but I would love to be that kid again and spend so much time with my dad, my mom and my brother.

And I would kill to be able to fit into that kiddie boat again! I wish you could see my waistline in this picture. We're talking "Anne Hathaway Would Be Jealous and Stop Eating" size. 

Happy Birthday, Daddy.

P.S. Is it creepy to anybody else that I posted Superman being spanked by Jor-El on my father's birthday? Yeah, I knew it was...

5 comments:

Prospero said...

I lost my dad in 1999. We were not close after I reached puberty (and he treated my mom like crap), but he was still my dad and I loved him, despite his flaws. I always offer up a silent toast on his birthday. You're so lucky to still have yours. Cherish him and love him, my friend.
B

Rick Rockhill said...

Happy Birthday Daddy!

yellowdoggranny said...

my daddy died in .82...there isn't a day that goes by that i dont miss him...happy birthday to your daddy...

Java said...

Happy Birthday (a day late) to your dad, Stephen. I like that picture. I remember some really fun times when I was young and small enough to fit in pool toys like that.

Aaron said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad!