Monday, April 06, 2009

"Hi, I'm Mrs. Han Solo and I'm an Alcoholic."

While browsing through Carrie Fisher's blog, I found this little gem of a story that reminds me just how much I love the woman who once was Leia, in or out of her metal bikini...

"One of my favorite memories is of my mother coming into my room at night and singing me to sleep. After she came home from the studio, she would come in and scratch my back and make up songs about a little red pony til I fell asleep.

"Later, when she started working in nightclubs in Las Vegas,
Rip Taylor would come into my room first and open for her - - and THEN she would do the songs. Some mornings I would wake up covered with confetti.

"Then, much later on, when I was married to Paul Simon, he would sing me to sleep. Which was incredibly sweet or slightly annoying - - depending on the album."



And while we're on a Carrie kick, check out her speech at the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award's Tribute to George Lucas. This is Carrie Fisher at her best...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I love Carrie Fisher, I could never understand how she got wet for Paul Simon. :/ You'd think as a fellow Jewish woman I'd understand...but I don't. :(

MASTER OF CEREMONIES said...

You've got great taste Stephen! I just posted this on my facebook with a feature on your blog. It touches our heart (even my Dad) that you feature Mom - Miss Lola) on your site. We love you! Did you know Mom will be appearing in the remake of the movie FAME?!!! She has been assured they kept in 4 minutes of Miss Lola for theatrical release. (My bro's husband is 1st AD)

Come see photo of Alexandra Billings and Mom on my facebook. xoxooxo

Anonymous said...

That's from her book Wishful Drinking - a great and funny read. Highly recommended.

Anonymous said...

Great clip, Stephen.

Why doesn't a network give her carte blanch to write a weekly show about her life?

yellowdoggranny said...

if i could die and come back as anyone it would be carrie fisher..she's brilliant..read all her books(loved surrender the pink)..and because of my love for all carrie fisher my little town library has all of her books..just for me.thanks for putting this up and alerting me to the fact that she has a blog..I'm going there now...bless you my child.

Java said...

Carrie Fisher is so much more funny and entertaining now than she was 30 years ago. I didn't used to like her. I've recently changed my mind. Thank you for helping me see the light, Stephen.

Project Christopher said...

absolutely PRICELESS!!!!

What a hoot!

Aaron said...

Carrie Fisher was always funny and could milk the humor in everything...even as Princess Leia, she was a bitch with a dry wit ("get this walking carpet out of my way"). In "The Blues Brothers," she never had to utter a word--just fire a bazooka at John Belushi's apartment building and peel away in her car as the place exploded--and it was hilarious.

As a middle-aged woman, she's still appealing, because she's got that earthy sense of humor. And I love what the booze did to her voice. Very husky and "oomphy."

Mike Ellis, The Jolly Reprobate said...

I love her. Carrie, not Leia and her honeybun hairdo. Every time I hear her in an interview, my respect for her just grows.

Lucas, on the other hand... What's with his throat? Was his father a toad, or is he becoming Jabba the Hutt?

Lance Noe said...

She deserves to be a national treasure!

My adventures said...

Rip Taylor, now that brought back some memories! I'm still howling about the confetti.