Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Operator? Oh, Could You Help Me Place This Call?"

Recently, I was telling my friend Karen about the unique opening night gift that my theatre friends and I would send to each other in college.

I can't seem to find these anymore, but for awhile in the South, when someone died, you could send this unique wreath to the funeral.

Flowers beside a plastic phone, and above the phone, two simple words...

"Jesus Called"

Think I'm making this up? Now, I have proof.

Here are college buddies Laura Talent, Russell Suggs and Scott Calbaugh standing beside their "Jesus Called" flower arrangement on the opening night of "Psycho Beach Party."


There it is, folks.

And people wonder why the South lost the war.

9 comments:

Java said...

Oh, I believe it. Though I've never seen one myself, I know it's true. That kind of stuff happens down here.

Nice photo.

Project Christopher said...

As a Southerner... I can attest. I got my ass spanked once when I was 6 and pulled the phone off because I wanted to play with it....

Stephen, you're my hero for sending these as a gag gift though. would never have thought it...

Mike Ellis, The Jolly Reprobate said...

Jesus called,
and he wants thirteen tickets for opening night

Polt said...

That guy on the left looks a lot like Mark Paul Gossaler. And holy Annette in a bikini, I'd go Psycho at a beach party with either one of these guys!!!

HUGS...

Prospero said...

Oh, how I LOVE "Psycho Beach Party." I directed a JTMF production of it, 2 years ago. So silly and brilliant.

Maybe I can convince you to temporarily relocate East next spring for "Sordid Lives."

Stephen said...

I am so old!
When I was in college, we would send telegrams on opening night...
speaking of, Noel Coward sent Gertrude Lawrence an opening night telegram for Lady In The Dark that read:
"A warm hand on your opening!"

cb said...

Well, they probably lost the war because the South is evidently filled with gays... :-)

Mark in DE said...

Sissy in Sorted Lives: "Jesus called, Peggy answered. Aaaawwww..."

Anonymous said...

my family owned a florist in tennessee for almost 90 years. the jesus called arrangement was our best seller.

ironically, i found this website because i'm actually trying to buy the arrangement as a gift....

good luck with the theater...