Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"The Old Lush?"


Look what I have.

Steve Schroeder, one of the amazing performers in last Sunday's Season of Concern benefit, was in New York a few weeks ago, and he came back with a gift for me.

Yes, straight men are driven to bring me gifts from afar.

That's how good I am. At certain things.


This is one of the t-shirts available for purchase at the Broadway musical version of 9 to 5.


It's the catchphrase used by 9 to 5's lovable lush, Margaret Foster. A catchphrase that I have adopted and frequently use to encourage behavior that society might look down upon or classify as "harmful and destructive."

With the whole world becoming as interesting, festive and sterile as a hospital ward (I'm talking about YOU, Smoking Ban), it's nice to know there are still some people out there kickin' it old school.

People who actually touch the doorknob on their way out of a public bathroom. People who understand that a two martini lunch and a half-a-joint coffee break are actually GOOD for productivity. People who aren't afraid to lay in the floor and be pissed on.

These are my people. And to them, I say...

6 comments:

Stephen said...

You tell 'em Stephen R.!
I am gonna light up a J & have a Martini & toast to you, your good judgment & your fab blog!
Best wishes from steamy Portland.

Anonymous said...

9 to 5 is in my Top 5 Movies of all time. It's one of those movies where I can say every line. I want this shirt!!

Project Christopher said...

dear god.... now we'll NEVER get that shirt off of him!!!

Aaron said...

You, sir, are a prince. Thank GOD somebody besides me is sick and tired of this nanny state imposed by urban yuppie parents who want the city to be just like the suburbs.

As Margaret Foster also said, "Let's all revolt!" (Even though she meant it sarcastically in the movie.)

Java said...

What a perfect shirt for you!

Even straight men bring you gifts. You, sir, are pretty special.

Anatomicsd said...

I don't remember anyone from 9 to 5 laying on the floor and getting pissed on but I'm game!