Monday, May 25, 2009

"The Lies of Handsome Men"

This Memorial Day, as we recognize and remember the men and women who died in military service for our country, let's also think about the nearly 12,500 gay and lesbian members of the our armed forces who have been discharged under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

Especially Lt. Dan Choi, the latest Arabic translator to be dismissed from the National Guard because of his sexuality. Making him the first gay person discharged from the military since President Obama took office.

Now, I understand that Obama is busy blowing out the fire billowing through our Hindenburg of an economy, while simultaneously trying to end one war while escalating another, so I haven't given up hope. I believe he will make every effort to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." But...

Is it just me, or is it starting to feel like deja vu all over again? No, it's actually, it's more like everything new was old. Again.

I feel like the waiter at this hot, new restaurant sold me on the chef's signature dish, (the "Change We Can Believe In" frittatas served with"Yes We Can" risotto) and even though the food looks spectacular and the aroma is mouth-watering, something in my gut tells me it's going to taste like Clinton.

Err... I mean, chicken. ("Taste like Clinton." I just stepped in Lewinsky...)

Think about it. Clinton promised he would end the ban on gays in the military when he ran for his first term in '92 and within months of his taking office, we got "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," a policy that actually increased the number of gays and lesbians discharged from the U.S. military.

I get the feeling that Obama is facing the same realities in his first few months in office. God forbid history repeats itself, the ban continues and we get a new policy even more confusing than the one we have.

Then again, what could be more confusing and illogical than "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"? As Jon Stewart explained a couple of weeks ago on The Daily Show...

"Dan Choi is one of 54 Arabic translators dismissed due to their sexual preference.

"So, it was okay to waterboard a guy over 80 times, but God forbid the guy who
could understand what that prick
was saying has a boyfriend."

If the ban on gays in the military is actually lifted, I wonder if I can be a WAC? Or maybe an Andrews Sister. I'm thinking Patty. She was sort of the Beyonce of the group. So Patty. Definitely Patty.

2 comments:

Mark in DE said...

I hate to say it because I am a fan of Obama, but he IS a politician.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....


check out my story about DADT if you are interested.

start here and work your way forward haha.

http://nathanaelrey.blogspot.com/2009/11/dadt-series-prologue-true-colors.html