Saturday, June 16, 2007

Not Your Father's Batsuit

The Bible got it wrong. Well actually, it was just off by one letter. Not an "M," but a "G."

The Geeks Shall Inherit The Earth.

How else can you describe the movie and tv mania for all things fan boy and comic book?

We currently have The Silver Surfer on the big screen and Dr. Who is tearing up the BBC. This Fall a new Bionic Woman appears on prime time television and an IRON MAN movie is in production right now.

And Entertainment Weekly is taking time away from Paris and Britney to give the public what it REALLY wants...

A sneak peak at Christian Bale's new Batsuit!


According to the EW's article talking with THE DARK KNIGHT's costume designer, Lindy Hemming (I kinda love that name... Lindy... "Lindy Rader?" Nah...), here are the changes and improvements to the suit that I'm sure are making Adam West as green as Frank Gorshin's old Riddler costume...

The Cowl:

"Ever wonder why movie Batmans rarely turn their horned heads? It's because the cowls of past suits were firmly attached to the neck and shoulders of the costume — necessary to maintain that iconic silhouette and to prevent the actor from moving around inside the mask. The new headpiece — modeled after a motorcycle helmet — is separate from the neck, so star Christian Bale can now swivel his noggin side to side, or nod up and down. ''It was the hardest part of the suit to make,'' says Hemming."


See, the cowl used to look like this...



Not exactly a great cowl for rubber-neckin'...


...or for doing anything else, for that matter...


Those Kick Ass Glove Spike-Thingys:

"The razors on Batman's forearms are actually part of the suit. (His gloves tuck into the sleeves of the suit.) They're retractable, and yep, they're weapons. ''They shoot at people!'' says Hemming with a Jokersesque laugh."


Rubber Is The New Leather:

"The new suit is made of 200 individual pieces of rubber, fiberglass, and nylon and metallic mesh. Bruce Wayne's work duds now have a stylish texture, suggesting they're made with sophisticated new technology. ''I thought it would make it more interesting to look at and wonder about,'' says Hemming, adding that the stretchy rubber lines also help bind the costume to Bale's body."





"Bind the costume to Bale's body."


My...


Oh my...


What a body to bind to...

8 comments:

dirk.mancuso said...

No argument here that the new Batsuit is awesome. Naughty thoughts awesome.

As for Christian Bale...he's okay, but his mouth is kind of weird -- I think it's the almost total lack of a top lip -- and he is curiously devoid of body hair in that pic. (And we all know Dirky loves him some body hair. Just imagine a pair of pit thickets in that pose and I think you see what an improvement it would be...)

Stephen R. said...

Dirk - I had never noticed the whole "no top lip" thing till you mentioned it. And as for his lack of body hair, some of us can't help it. I love me a hairy man, too, but my Cherokee blood...

(I'm mostly Native American, mixed with some German - - so, I guess that means I'm pretty aggressive bottom and a nasty, kinky top)

...my Cherokee blood has left me with so little body hair that guys CONSTANTLY ask me if I shave it all off. I always tell them what my father used to say...

"Grass don't grow on a playground." :)

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm sorry... Did you say something?

A bit distracted by that last picture.....

Stephen R. said...

Whim - I know. Ain't that something?

That's from AMERICAN PSYCHO. That's the one where Christian Bale is running naked down a hallway with a chainsaw.

What more do you really need in a movie?

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I wasn't even looking at his lips.

Could you bind ME to his body please!!!!!

Stephen R. said...

khbronson - I love you, baby, but GET IN LINE!!! I'm getting bound to him first!!!! :)

jer said...

um...christian bale was in the weber grill today...i almost died.

Stephen R. said...

Jer - WHAT?!?!?!? The next time my future boyfriend comes to Webber Grill, call me so I can surprise him with a kiss... and a naked lap dance. :)