Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Too Gay"

One of my Facebook "friends" (yes, the quotations mean that I don't really know this person nor do I really know how I know this person) just wrote this as his status message...

"No....tooo memorable...they don't have a headshot I say...you better make me remembner you....and they do......and I don't wanna"

Confusing? Yes. He's holding auditions for some kind of project. One of his Facebook "friends" (who I do not know) left this comment...

"OK, other reasons you could give for not casting them: 1) If I ever go deaf and blind, you're in. 2) I was THIS CLOSE to casting you, but then I remembered you suck. 3) Too gay. 4) If being talented were a crime, I wouldn't want to see you behind bars. 5) Your audition was unbelievable! In fact, I didn't believe a single word of it."


...to which the "friend" who left the status message replied...

"I use 3 a LOT"

I typed the following response in the comment box, but because I really don't know this person very well, I haven't sent it...

"I know I'm woefully out of the loop here, but "Too gay"? That's the reason you give for not casting people? That's odd, because I didn't see too black, too Jewish or too Mexican on that list."

Am I being overly sensitive here?

For all I know, this "friend" is gay. But like Harvey Fierstein, Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reilly and Ripp Taylor, I come from a long line of sissies, and that "Too gay" statement really pisses me off!


11 comments:

Project Christopher said...

hell NO you're not being too sensitive! It's far too often that people toss around Gay as derogatory or Faggot. If he said Too Black and the N word in public or on his Facebook profile... OH hell!

send me an email and let me know who!

TD said...

Unfortunately, no, Stephen, you're not being too sensitive.

Anonymous said...

i did a voiceover audition and said, very nice, but not quite, and that I needed to practice my delivery some more. after all, i didn't want "to be typecast"...normally, I'd have left it alone, but I said..."Typecast as what?"

Pause.

"Well, typecast as...too...gay."

I nodded, smiled and said, "well then they can kiss my "too gay" ass."

Anonymous said...

Send it!

Anonymous said...

Send it!

the hobbit said...

Girl, we in the same place today. I actually removed a friend I do know (used to know) in real life because I had no idea he was a batshit crazy fundamentalist third-reich baby-eating loon.

wcs said...

Can we really be too gay? I mean, not gay enough, ok, but too gay? :)

I thought the only acceptable thing to say when not casting someone was, "Thank you. Next."

philip said...

Once, at an audition, I was asked by the director, "Do you hear how awful you sound? I mean, you sound like you're hurting yourself. Can you hear that?" (this on my third call back, by the way)
To which I responded, "If I thought I sounded bad, I'd change it."

I would have rather heard "too gay." At least then I could have responded, "You're just pissed because it's obvious I'm having a lot of butt-sex and you're not."

Aaron said...

I'm with Sean: send the status message! But reword it with the point that Chris brought up and say:

"What do you think would happen if you told an auditioner they were 'too black' or 'too Mexican.' Try that, and let us know where we can send your flowers."

Joe said...

You CANNOT be too gay (or too rich, or too handsome, or too hung or ...)!

SEND IT!!

Mark in DE said...

I'm right there with you!