Sunday, November 19, 2006

Overheard at Davenport's

Tonight, the lovely Philip Dawkins went on for me in UGLY BABY because I had my second to last performance of MIDLER ON THE ROOF at Davenport's. Just knowing that Philip and I can fit into the same costumes makes this former Fat Fat Fatty happier than you could possibly imagine, but having the multi-talented Philip cover for me is truly a blessing. Thank you, Philip. I know you were amazing. I can't wait to hear all about it.

In the meantime, I give you this piece of comic gold that happened tonight at Davenport's:

Denise Tomasello performed her cabaret show at 8:00 p.m. tonight. For those that don't know her, this is Denise...


Denise had a large crowd of 69 people in the backroom (notice that sentence contains the following: "69" and "backroom" and "Denise"). When I arrived at Davenport's at 9:45 p.m. (note: Denise's show was STILL going on at 9:45 p.m. and continued for another 15 to 20 minutes after that!), there was a woman sitting at the bar with her husband. The woman walked to the back and looked through the window in the door to the backroom; she was looking at Denise and her large crowd.

The cute waiter that I have a major crush on, Tug, walked by. The woman turned to Tug and said the following:

"Boy, he really packs 'em in!"

You see, when a gay man thinks a woman is a drag queen, I believe that is a compliment...of some sort...since so many drag queens are hyper-glamorous and look like a SuperModel 24/7...but when a straight woman thinks that a woman is a drag queen...now...

...that's comedy.

No comments: