Friday, January 26, 2007

One Critic Agrees! It's a hit!

Well, our first review for SEUSSICAL is in...

...but why am I even posting it... you've all seen it.

Oh, come on. Don't try to tell me that you haven't got at least three subscriptions per resident of your household to THE magazine of choice for Windy City hipsters...



Just to keep several copies of CHICAGO PARENT in the house, I, myself, gave up my subscriptions to my James Bond fan magazine...


...my monthly ping-pong survival guide...



...and my favorite newsletter, ANNIE PEOPLE, THE newsletter for fans of the musical ANNIE, written and produced by this guy...



I'm not making that up. Check the link if you don't believe me!

Yes, CHICAGO PARENT is the first local mag to begin the lavish praise and heartfelt promises of Jeff Awards, Tony Awards and perhaps even a Cable Ace Award...

...yes, I know we're not on cable, but ya'll - - we're THAT good...

You can read all of Jennifer DuBose's review here, but let's get to the part we're all waiting for...

...the part where she talks about me.

The Cat in the Hat narrates the action, delivering witty and sometimes sarcastic one-liners that nearly steal the show. While his amusing jabs at celebrities and Chicago references work to feed the adults in the audience with a few laughs, a couple of his fun-poking comments come close to diverting attention from the production's main themes of kindness, loyalty, imagination, the value of relationship, sensitivity to the needs of the littlest creatures and the idea that what may be most essential may be invisible to the eye. One of the show's best songs, however, "Oh The Thinks You Can Think," features the Cat and his young friend JoJo, one of the tiny Whos of Whoville, who eventually realizes that "anything's possible."

Now, you may be thinking to yourself, "Wow, sounds like Stephen is coming DANGEROUSLY close to The Cat being played as Andy Dick on a Saturday in West Hollywood," but notice that she only says that a couple of my comments "COME CLOSE to diverting attention from the production's main themes..."

I don't cross the line. I WALK the line.

That's right. My Cat in the Hat is so Johnny Cash, Reese Witherspoon is BEGGING to play Mayzie La Bird!

My only problem with Ms. DuBose's review? Yeah, you guessed it...

WHERE IS MY NAME?!?!?!?!

Hello? I'm the Merman of SEUSSICAL here! How about a little friggin' name recognition, ok?

No comments: