Thursday, April 08, 2010

"When You're an Addams"

"The Addams Family" opens tonight on Broadway.

From what I've read, there have been more than a few changes made since I saw the show here in Chicago.

For instance, the opening number here was named "Clandango." It was all about Wednesday coming of age and becoming a woman. It set up the plot of the show, but the new opening number, "When You're an Addams," presents all of the family members to us as we know and love them from the TV series and subsequent movies.

Maybe, as was the case with "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum," all the show needed was the right opening number to establish the mood and welcome the audience into the piece. Maybe.

We'll see. Not by the reviews, necessarily, but by the box office. Say what you will about the Chicago run of "The Addams Family," it was sold out for almost every performance and left town with a considerable profit. And we're a theatre town. That ain't easy to do here.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Fella and I caught the show when it was in Chicago and were decidedly "eh" as we left the theater.

We both agreed it needed more Gomez and Morticia and less of Wednesday's potential in-laws.

I'm now waiting patiently for The Little Mermaid National Tour to hit the Windy City.

Wonder Man said...

looks cute

Stephen said...

My friend WCK3, who went to Julliard with Bebe Neuwirth agress with you... & it wasn't easy, he washer guest. She seems perfect to me!

http://nopoboho.blogspot.com/2009/12/its-it-good-isnt-it-grand-isnt-it-great.html

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see how this does.

Stephen said...

http://nopoboho.blogspot.com/2009/12/its-it-good-isnt-it-grand-isnt-it-great.html

my friend WCK3, who went to Julliard with Miss N.
sent me the NY Times review yesterday. He was not gleeful... I think we are all pained after so much hope.

Rick Rockhill said...

I've been reading a lot about this lately. I'll probably go see it. Just for the charm factor alone!