Thursday, November 19, 2009

"Unhappy, Darling?"

I saw "The Addams Family" musical last night (more on that later) and one of the themes throughout the show is the balance of happiness and sadness in our lives.

The idea that to understand pleasure, you have to have experienced pain.

(Something my nights at the Hellfire Club being covered in hot wax taught me well.)

Nathan Lane as Gomez sings a song in the second act that sums this up beautifully. A sweet, tender song. And strange as it may sound, it reminded me of one of my favorite Dolly Parton quotes...

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain."

I love her for that quote and for this video. And for many, many other reasons.

Well, apparently the video from CNN doesn't want to embed. Check it out here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite Dolly quotes too. She has SO many. I have an entire list of things she's said that are great!

Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite Dolly quotes too. She has SO many. I have an entire list of things she's said that are great!

Wonder Man said...

would love to hear your review

AJohnP said...

I can't wait to hear what you thought of the show. I'm a big fan of many folks in the cast (especially Carolee Carmello!!!) and have been looking forward to this one... :-)

cb said...

I'm not sure how I feel about this musical-- but since everything is being co-opted and turned into a musical...

I think I'll hold out for the Real Housewives of Atlanta: the musical.

Stephen said...

Oh, I hope it is good & not a Young Frankenstein!
I have a great Bebe Neuwirth story to do a post on...I think you find it fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know what you thought of the show (and not just because The Fella and I have tickets to see it...)