Monday, March 15, 2010

"God'll Get You For That, Walter"

I was watching a few episodes of "Maude" that someone has thankfully uploaded to YouTube and I fell in love with this shadier than usual Bea Arthur insult...

"You're a tower of trivia, Walter. Have you ever thought about leaving your brain to science? I could arrange to have it picked up first thing in the morning."

I loved watching "Maude" when I was a kid. And I'm told that my favorite television show during my preschool years was "Family Affair." According to my mother, I would stare at the screen transfixed, drinking in the lives of Buffy, Jody, Cissy and Mr. French.

So, just for the record, before my jaded, "Maude" years (meaning I learned "bitter" and "jaded" from Bea, a true master), I loved watching children with uber-queer names who lived with their father and his live-in "man-servant," Mr. French.

And yet, years later, my parents had the nerve to be shocked when I told them I was gay.

What did they need to figure it out? Liza Minnelli to marry me? Oy...


9 comments:

AJohnP said...

Hooray for Maude! I could watch that show all day long. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's taking them so damn long to release Season 2 on DVD, but they need to get on the ball!!

Deep Dish said...

I second AJohnP's emotion - we want Season 2 of "Maude" on DVD! Such a great show!

Anonymous said...

That's a great insult. I'll have to remember it!

Stephen said...

Maude was fab & I did watch it with relish... but my parents should have had a cluse when I was glued to THE WILD WILD WEST. After viewing Rbert Conrad in those pants I would be close to passing out (this would have been at 11 years old).

I can see the Bea Arthur influence on you.

Bunny said...

Maude was fabulous - I'm going to hunt down these episodes on YouTube! I also loved Family Affair and am still not over Buffy's death from a drug overdose.

Anonymous said...

i really adore your own writing style, very exciting,
don't quit and keep posting in all honesty , because it just that is worth to read it,
impatient to read more of your articles, enjoy your day!

philip said...

Ready for this?
I'm teaching a class at Lane Tech last Thursday, and I look up in the middle of my demonstration/lecture thing, and I see that the teacher has your blog up on her computer.
Are you there Blog, it's me Stephen.

For the very Very VERY first time in my life. . . I stuttered.

KenPaul66 said...

You & I must be about the same age, Stephen...uh, 34, right ? Cause I remember watching Maude and Family Affair (in B/W) when I was a little kid. I remember turning to my mom in our single-wide mobile home that sat out in the middle of a cow pasture in the early 70's and asked her why we didn't have a Mr.French..LOL. I'm so serious. I loved watching Maude, but she scared me. I was very shy as a kid and terrified of adults that shouted,screamed and swore (Maude & Archie Bunker).

I do love your blog and you're cute as the dickens too.

Unknown said...

Gosh, that again brings back memories. I grew up watching Andy and Opie and Barney, too. I loved Maude, as she was the feminist we all wanted to be.

We always watched Gunsmoke and Bonanza because my mom was a western fanatic. She had every book Zane Grey ever published! My first real love was little Joe. I hated Family Affair, though, because I thought the kids were too cute for words!